Personal Reading Goal for 2011

2011 Reading Challenge

Abbie has read 11 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Monday, February 14, 2011

Surrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall

51kghwNw0XL

Surrender the Heart by M.L. Tyndall

Published: 2010

Series: Surrender to Destiny

Goodreads Summery: Relive the rich history of the War of 1812 through the eyes of Marianne Denton and Noah Brenin, who both long to please their families but neither one wishes to marry the other. Noah is determined to get his cargo to England before war breaks out, and Marianne is equally determined to have a wedding so that her inheritance can be unlocked and her destitute family saved. When their stubborn games get them captured by a British warship, can they escape and bring liberty to their country—and growing love?

Marianne is a young woman who finds herself engaged to be married to a man she does not love in order to claim her inheritance so that her mom can buy her medicine. She has known Noah since he was a child but only has bad memories of him. Marianne also sees herself as plain and figures no one will ever love her because of it.

Noah is not happy about the engagement himself but follows along with his fathers wishes.  He soon embarrasses Marianne at their engagement party. She is so upset with him that she follows him to his ship where she accidently ends up a unwilling passenger. Will these two find love on the dangerous seas or will the impending war of 1812 pull them apart?

I was not sure if I was going to like this book. I tend to read book era’s from the mid-1800’s and up but I am so glad I read it because I really enjoyed it. The author is a wonderful writer. I found myself pulled in and loving the characters right away. The other thing I loved about this book was the history lesson it provided. She takes the history of the 1812 war and gives it life. I learned a lot about how the war came to be from this book and adding a romance story to it make it so much fun in the process!

The only down side to this book for me was I felt the middle was just a little slow. It was interesting but seemed to drag on until the last 3rd of the book picked back up with the intensity and excitement once again. I also enjoyed the way she wrote God into this story. Sometimes it can feel thrown into the story like it does not really fit but she intertwines it so well in this book it fits perfectly.

By the end of the book I was cheering the American Navy on and feeling proud to have such a wonderful nation and marveling at what my country went through all those years ago to get its freedom. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.

Book Rating

Steamy Rating

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a free copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative