Personal Reading Goal for 2011

2011 Reading Challenge

Abbie has read 11 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Caregiver by Shelley Shepard Gray

51ta7tmpNgL

The Caregiver by Shelley Shepard Gray

Published: 2011

Publisher: Harper Collins

Series: Families of Honor(Book 1)

Goodreads Summery:

Two lives converge one stormy night on a train headed to cleveland

Lucy is traveling by herself via train to Jacob's Crossing to help care for her cousin Mattie, recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Trying to overcome the sudden death of her husband, she's glad to get away and focus on someone else for a while.

The only other Amish people on the train are Calvin Weaver and his little sister, Katie. When their train breaks down outside of Cleveland, Calvin and Lucy band together to face the outside world. But Calvin also carries the weight of past hurts. When an altercation brings both their wounds to light, they question whether they can trust each other.

Once in Jacob's Crossing, Lucy is occupied with caring for Mattie, while Calvin does his best to run his family's farm. But they can't stop thinking about those special hours spent together. Will the bond they formed last? And will Lucy and Calvin be able to put away the pain in their pasts to recognize the happiness that is suddenly in their grasp?

Lucy was abused in her first marriage. Her husband died a year before in a barn accident and now Lucky finders herself on a train heading for Ohio to spend a month caring for her cousin Mattie who is battling cancer and will be undergoing Chemo. On the train she meets Calvin who she soon finds out is also heading to Ohio in fact to the same small town! Calvin is traveling with his little sister and his Uncle John who is returning home after being in the English world for 20 years.

Will Lucy face her past so she can step into her future? Will Calvin have the patience to help her? Will cancer cause Mattie to turn away from God or will she grow stronger because of it? Will Uncle John who is now English find love when he finds himself falling for two women from two different worlds? You must read this book and find out!

This book well it was awesome. When I find an author like this who I just love I rave and well rave I will!! From the first page of this book I was sucked in. A lot of times it will take me some time to get into a book or I really have to force myself to get through parts but not this one. As soon as my eyes hit the words I found myself riding the train with these characters and soon getting to know Jacob’s Crossing and finding myself not wanting to leave!

This book touches on two subjects that has affected many people. Spousal abuse and cancer. Being an Amish book one would probably not think such a thing could happen. The way it was handled in this book was so real you felt Lucy’s pain but at the same time felt her hope and then peace as she healed from her past.

You also felt Mattie’s pain as she begins chemotherapy and the despair over her wondering if she really will get better. I can’t wait to read more about her in the next book! Uncle John you soon find also has a past that he is running from. He soon finds himself having feeling for an English lady and an Amish lady. He finds himself torn and I also look forward to seeing how this will play out in the next book.

Calvin is getting over the pain of a broken relationship when he first meets Lucy. But soon he finds himself falling for her. Calvin is also intruding us to his brothers and planting seeds for the next two books. I liked how the author did this. We start to learn about the other brothers but she does not over shadow Calvin’s story at all. Very well done.

Honestly I can’t find a fault with this book! I had trouble putting it down and found myself thinking about the story when I was not reading it.

I read lots of books and have quite a few favorite authors and this book and author grab a top spot. I read so many books and like so many of them too that I wanted to create a special award for books that really stand out and this book gets the first mention.

absfavoritesbook-000-Page-1

Book Rating

Steamy Rating

 

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a free copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative